BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Being a UST Biology student!




Hey! "We are not complicated life is" a quote which i will not forget ever in my life. This is the motto of biology student at the University of Santo Tomas. Many people say that Biology is pure memorization I think they're wrong because being a Biology student is more than memorization it is more of understanding of processes going on in everything having Life. It's kinda' complicated but It's the most enlightening experience you will ever have because you will have the opportunity to study all the living creation of GOD.

Well I am already a graduate of B.S. Biology at University of Santo Tomas. When I first entered the program I really didn't expect how hard it is to be majoring in Biology ( Promise it is literally hard). I really thought that it will be easy like high school biology, which I really enjoyed and inspired me to take this course. I will cite briefly about each biology subject that I took from first year to fourth year to give you an idea. hahaha.. (:

First year:

First Semester:

Bio 101 lecture (General Biology Lecture)
Bio 101 laboratory (General Biology Laboratory)

Second Semester:

Bio 102 Lecture ( Con't of General Biology Lecture)
Bio 102 Laboratory (Con't of General Biology Laboratory)

Second year:

First Semester:

Zoo 201 Lec ( Invertebrate Biology)
Zoo 201 Lab (Invertebrate Biology Laboratory) We had a field trip in Bolinao, Pangasinan enjoy!!

Second Semester:

Micr 200 ( General Microbiology)
Micr 200 ( General Microbiology Lab)

Bot 201 (Systematic Botany)
Bot 201 Laboratory (Systematic Botany Laboratory) WE also had a field trip at Baguio and La Union (:

Third Year:

First Semester: HARDEST SEMESTER!! because of organic chemistry Lec professor and Biostatistics. hahaha

Zoo 301 (Comparative Anatomy)
Zoo 301 Lab (Comparative Anatomy Laboratory)

Second Semester:

Bio 310 Lab (Biology Techniques) Its about making slides taht you view in the microscope (6hours straight Lab) hahahaha
Zoo 302 ( Histology)
Bio 601 ( Biology Seminar) Start of Thesis (:

Fourth Year

First Semester:

Bio 201 (Cell and Molecular biology)
Bio 201 Lab ( Cell and Molecular Biology Lab)
Bio 205 (Fundamental Genetics)
Bio 205 Lab ( Fundamental Genetics Lab)
Zoo 603 (Comparative Vertebrate Embryology)- MOST DIFFICULT BIOLOGY SUBJECT EVER!! hahhaha..If you pass this I'm sure you are already a certified biology geek hahaha
Zoo 603 Lab ( Comparative Vertebrate Embryology)- MOST DIFFICULT BIOLOGY SUBJECT EVER!! hahhaha..If you pass this I'm sure you are already a certified biology geek hahaha
The scores of most student here is only 1 digit out of 60 points practical test hahaha..
Bio 602 (Thesis experimentation) Hussle!!

Second Semester:

Zoo 401 (General Animal Physiology)
Zoo 401 Lab (General Animal Physiology Lab)
Bio 203 ( Principles of Ecology)
Bio 203 Lab ( Principles of Ecology Lab)
Bio 603 ( Thesis paper making and most especially and lastly DEFENSE!!) hahaha..be ready for a major revision haha..

Wooh!.. that's it maybe you already got an idea on what are the subjects I took under the B.S. Biology program at the University of Santo Tomas College of Science. I can say that it is really very rewarding when you look back all the hardship that you encountered during those years. Finally I'm free from the program who teaches me to really study not to read everything or just merely memorize everything but more of to understand how it works and how it is formed (that is BIOLOGY) I nearly forgot to mention that UST B.S. BIOLOGY is a center of excellence. Well, I think they deserve it since I can tell that I really learned a lot from my professors and from my classmates.

I am very proud to say that I am now a CATHOLIC BIOLOGIST! Scientific at mind but Catholic at Heart. (:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

naku tsk tsk yan pa nmn course ko nitong pasukan

MadenotBorn said...

haha kayang kaya mo yan. same school?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sa tingin mo mas okay pagsabayin ang Physics(lec,lab) + Analytical Chemistry(lec,lab) + probably advance 4th year subject(which one would you recommend?) sa summer, para makapagconcentrate nalang ako sa biotech, biosem and Spanish 2 and social teaching of the church this sem kasama na yung only subject na binagsak ko(na hindi naman prerequisite sa kahit na anong future subject not until 4th year 2nd sem) ?? please help.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a Grade 9 High School student.I really enjoyed studying Biology since I was in grade 8, the subject is very interesting and while reading I could imagine what's happening on my body...When I was in Grade 8 I got good scores in Bio. I got 87. When I grow up I really wanted to be a Pediatrician but they say it's difficult, hmmm may I just ask, What other jobs that has to study BS Biology?...

Anonymous said...

Hello! Sorry for this very late reply. Regarding your question about what subject to take this summer. I think it is better to take up Analytical Chem (Lec and Lab) during summer because I think Physics will be more important so it is much better to be taken up during regular semester class. Moreover, I think masyadong mahaba ung coverage nya para itake for one month of summer class and if you are going to take NMAT it will be useful than anal chem. risag Also, I'm not sure what subject is offered sa summer but it would be good to get a lecture subject either genetics or cell molec bio since ung lab and lec nila ay parang can go independently. So kahit unahin mo ung lec I think it doesn't have so much effect sa lab nya. Un lang thank you for asking. :) Hope I helped answer your questions.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thank you for showing your early enthusiasm to take BS BIOLOGY. Actually, it is really fun taking up bio because you will learn a lot from the living things that surrounds you and some processes involve on why and how they exist and live. Moreover, regarding your question on what other jobs that has to study BS Biology I think you can do research, I am currently doing a masters degree in marine science and it really entails studying so much biology and understanding the different processes involved. Also, I think do not be discourage to be a pediatrician, even though they said that it is hard, I think it still depends on the person whether he/she have the guts to take it. Furthermore, I think it is really worth to try what you really want to be in the future no matter how difficult it is. Also, before considering taking BS Bio please take note that we do not live on passion alone but also from bread and butter. :)

Anonymous said...

Can't access my own blog. Seems like I need to go make a new one :( haha

Anonymous said...

I'm an incoming freshman bio student at ust. I was wondering do you really need to study always? Like would i still have time to relax and party at college?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm incoming bio student at ust. I'm wondering do you really need to study always? Like would i still have time to relax and party at college? I really like this subject and I wish that the professors are approachable.

Unknown said...

Hi. I am a Biology student of University of Mindanao here in Davao City. I am really inspired and eager to take this course though Just like what you've said it is not easy. HAHAHAHA
May I ask? Did you enter medical school?